McQuaid Parents' Association
January 11, 2017
Called to order by Kelly McCarthy with Intro, welcome and opening prayer.
Nov meeting minutes approved, Cathy Buyer-Davis & Laura Cullen
Cathy Buyer-Davis & Cathy Tan - inaugural Book Club introduced. Selection is Tattoos On The Heart by Father Greg Boyle.
Mr. Clar – Dept of Theology Chair with Juniors Parker Grobe & Christian Matthews – Greg Boyles’ novel and how it’s incorporated into the curriculum. Students shared their personal insights into the book.
Shamus Darby, visiting ’16 graduate, shared his experiences and saved materials from visiting The Homeboys. Spoke of his personal experience from the trip and its impacting influences on today’s choices.
Kelly Darby – Xavier Day, Friday, March 3. Overview of activities, speakers and breakout sessions presented.
Heather Whiting – BASH update. Theme is "Knights on a Mission." Two chairs needed for Silent Auction.
Kelly McCarthy – New Business
- McQuaid Craigslist for athletic gear, apparel and ride share proposed. Volunteer needed to create google docs
Ebony Dukes – Social Committee: Mom Prom is April 1, Teacher Appreciation Day is April 7. No school.
Kim Campbel – Hospitality – Advent Liturgy well received. Prospective Students reception needs bakers.
Kathy Buyer-Davis – Education Committee: Book Fair was a learning curve. Student performances were amazing!
Kelly Darby – Spiritual Committee – Jan 29 is Father-Son Breakfast. Jack Armstrong is guest speaker.
Lisa Holmes – Service Committee – MFO needs large (40 oz.) tin cans.
Kelly McCarthy – Co-Ed Events – Behind the scenes planning taking place with class officers.
Laurie Hazard - Communications – Thank you for all the timely newsletter submissions!
Mr. Baber – Parent Speaker Series –educational and resourceful topics regarding common concerns. Scott Fitch for second semester. “Screenagers” (documentary series) available Friday nights @ the Strong.
Agenda for PA Meeting Wednesday, January 11, 2017 – 7pm in the Middle School Atrium
Please use the middle school entrance (by the auditorium)
- Welcome to 3rd PA Meeting of the year
- Opening Prayer by Fr. Salmon
- 1st Annual Book Club – Discussion of Tattoos on the Heart and author Father Greg Boyle’s Homeboy Industries. With an introduction by Mr. Clar, Chair of the Department of Theology (25 minutes)
- Review and approval of the minutes from 11/2 PA meeting - Andi Balland
- Treasurers Report - Kelly Darby – (3 minutes)
- Middle School Report - Laura Cullen/Andi Balland – (3 minutes)
- New Business – (5 minutes)
- BASH update and request for volunteers – Heather Whiting
- We would like to pursue some new ideas and endeavors. If you are interested in getting involved in the McQuaid PA and have not yet found a niche – Please see any of the officers at the end of the meeting to see if there is something that you might be interested in. (Box Tops for Education/Craigs list for McQuaid items & Sports equipment/Alumni Parent Group) to name a few.
- Committee Reports: 3 Minutes each
- Social Committee - Ebony Dukes
- Hospitality Committee - Kathy Calcagno/Judy Pribe/Nicole Sayers
- Education Committee - Cathy Buyer-Davis
- Spiritual Committee - Pam Cairns/Joanne Geen
- Service Committee – Connie DiFelice/Lisa Courtney-Holmes
- Co-Ed Events & Activities Committee - Melissa Teresi
- Communications - Laurie Hazard