Dr. Damian Zynda
Director of Ignatian Identity
UNIVERSITY OF ST. MICHAEL’S COLLEGE, TORONTO SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, Toronto, CA
Th.D. in Systematic Theology and Christian Spirituality
Toward A Spirituality of Discipleship: Oscar Romero and Contemporary Discipleship
Ronald A. Mercier SJ, Th.D. Director
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO, Chicago, IL Masters in Pastoral Studies with Honors
CANISIUS COLLEGE, Buffalo, NY - Bachlor of Arts in Religious Studies with Honors
• Advanced Jesuit Studies, Boston College, Boston, MA
• Spiritual Direction in the Spiritual Exercises, Loyola House, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
• Supervision of Spiritual Directors, St. Meinrad’s School of Theology, St. Meinrad, Indiana
• Effective Online Teaching and Learning: Core & Design, Creighton University, Omaha, NE
• Excellence in Catechesis Award, Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester
• Excellence in Teaching Award, the Margaret A. Warner School of Education, Univ. of Rochester
• Excellence in Secondary Education, Cornell University
• Religious Educator of the Year, Diocese of Buffalo, New York
• Alpha Sigma Nu (Jesuits National Honor Society) Canisius College, Buffalo, New York
• “Blessed are those Persecuted for Justice's Sake," Human Development. 37(2017) 71-77.
• “How far can a soul can ascend if it lets itself be possessed entirely by God? Archbishop Oscar Romero: A Life Witness to the Glory of God,” in Archbishop Romero and Spiritual Leadership in the Modern World. Lexington Books. New York, New York. 2015.
• “Spiritual Direction and the Supervision of Spiritual Directors: Ministries of Conversion in Religious Institutions,” Resource Center for Religious Institutions Bulletin 5 (2011) 5-34.
• Archbishop Oscar Romero: A Disciple Who Revealed the Glory of God. Scranton, PA: University of Scranton Press, 2010.
• “Mighty Stories, Dangerous Rituals” (Book Review) Toronto Journal of Theology 15 (1999): 104-105.
• “Thomas Merton, Mystic and Prophet,” Anima. Buffalo, New York Diocesan Liturgical Commission 17 (1993): 5-10.
• “Springs of Contemplation, A Retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemane,” (Book Review) The Merton Annual. Volume 6. Minnesota: Collegeville, 1993, 215-219.
• “Contemporary Mystic Study: Thomas Merton as Supported by Evelyn Underhill’s Stages of Mystical Development,” The Merton Annual Volume 4. Edited by Robert Daggy. New York: AMS Press, 1992, 173-204.
• “Bal de Dieu,” Anima. Buffalo, New York Diocesan Liturgical Commission (1992): 18-21.
• “Thomas Merton, Mystic and Prophet,” Sisters Today 63 (1991): 27-277.
RECENT PAPERS DELIVERED
• “The Transforming Effect of Persecution in the Life of B. Oscar Romero,” University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, March 27, 2017.
• “How far can a soul can ascend if it lets itself be possessed entirely by God? Archbishop Oscar Romero: A Life Witness to the Glory of God.” International Conference on Archbishop Oscar Romero. University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, September 27, 2014
• “The 19th Annotation Retreat – Forming Adults for Mission – A Parish Model” Ignatian Spirituality Conference, St. Louis University, July 2011
• “Supervision – A Ministry of Conversion,” The Ignatian Spirituality Centre, Montreal, Canada, May, 2011
• “Conversion in the Spiritual Exercises,” St. Bernard’s School of Theology and Ministry, Rochester, NY, October 2010
• “Relationship – The Heart of Ignatian Identity,” University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, October 2010
• “When Giving the Eighteenth Annotation is Not Giving the Eighteenth Annotation,”
Conference on Ignatian Spirituality, Fordham University, New York, New York, June 2009
• “The Eighteenth Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius: Theology and Practice”
Canisius College, Buffalo, New York, October 2008
• “Graced Identity as the Foundation for Discernment,” Women’s Commission on Prayer Conference Day, Diocese of Rochester, Rochester, New York, October 2007
• “The Spirituality of the Catholic Educator,” Superintendent’s Conference Day, Diocese of Rochester Catholic Schools, Rochester, New York, March 2007
• “A Spirituality of Conversion: A Paradigm for Leadership,” Ontario Catholic Schools’ Chaplains Conference, Mt. Carmel Spiritual Center, Niagara Falls, Ontario, January 2006
• “Discernment in Daily Life,” Superintendent’s Conference Day, Diocese of Rochester Catholic Schools Rochester, New York, March 2006
• “Spiritual Companioning for Student Peer Ministers,” St. John Fischer College, Rochester, New York, annually, 2006 to 2016
• Theology and Practice of the Spiritual Exercises
• Theology of Conversion
• Spiritual Direction and Supervision in the Ignatian Tradition
• Ignatian Discernment (Individual and Group)
• Formation of Spiritual Directors and Supervisors of Spiritual Directors in the Ignatian and Benedictine Traditions
• Facilitator of Personal and Communal Discernment in the Ignatian Tradition
• Formation of Lay Ecclesial Ministers
MCQUAID JESUIT HIGH SCHOOL 2016
Director of Ignatnian Identity
CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION, Pittsford, NY 2004 - 2016
Director of Formation
Recruited to create a vibrant Catholic adult formation program in a professional, theologically sophisticated, upper middle class community. This included envisioning, developing, evaluating and overseeing all stages of spiritual and theological formation for our membership from early childhood through senior adults.
CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY, Omaha, NE 2007 - 2017
Graduate Certification in Christian Spirituality Program
Faculty: Practicum in directing the Spiritual Exercises and Theology and Spirituality of Conversion
Master of Arts in Ministry
Faculty: On-line faculty, Discernment of Spirits: Theory and Practice
ST. MEINRAD SEMINARY AND SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY, St. Meinrad, IN 2012 - 2017
Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction: Practicum Faculty
ST. BERNARD’S SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY AND MINISTRY, Rochester, NY 1992 - 2004
Faculty: Pastoral Theology, Systematic Theology, Spiritual Direction and Ignatian Discernment
UNIVERSITY OF ST. MICHAEL’S COLLEGE, TORONTO SCHOOL OF THEOLOGY, Toronto, CA 2002 - 2004
Designed Spiritual Formation Program for M.Div. Students. Spiritual Director
AQUINAS INSTITUTE OF ROCHESTER, Rochester, NY 1999 - 2004
Department Chair, Theology
• St. Luke’s Institute Client Retreat, Bon Secours Retreat Center, Baltimore, Maryland, 2014-present
• Facilitator for Communal Discernment for Parish Staffs, Religious Congregations and Leadership Teams in the United States and Canada
• Director of Ignatian Eight-Day Retreat
o Loyola House, Guelph, Ontario
o Linwood Spiritual Center, Rhinebeck, New York
o Mercy Prayer Center, Rochester, New York
• Ignatian Leadership for Mission Retreats for the Jesuit Collaborative (Office of Ignatian Spirituality)
o St. Ignatius Retreat Center, Long Island, NY, 2011
o Campion Renewal Center, Weston, MA, 2010
o The Jesuit Spiritual Renewal Center, Wernersville, PA, 2008 and 2009
• Facilitated directed and preached retreats Canada, Ireland, and United States, 1990 – present
• Designed and directed an Ignatian Pilgrimage to Spain and Italy, October 2015
• Facilitated retreats for organizational boards, priests, religious men and women, laity, spiritual directors, campus ministers, elementary and secondary school faculty and staff, pastoral staffs, lay ecclesial ministers, married couples, permeant deacons & wives, artists and teens in Ireland, Spain, Canada and the United States
• Private Practice of Spiritual Direction and Supervision 1992-present