Dear Parents and Guardians,
Greetings from McQuaid Jesuit! I hope these final few weeks of summer are treating you and your families well and are filled with anticipation for the start of another school year. Our summer has been an active and fruitful one. The area around the Wegman Family Science and Technology Center and the Carriero Commons has been beautifully landscaped. All of our second floor classrooms received a fresh coat of paint, and we’ve repurposed a variety of spaces in the wake of the Wegman Center’s opening, including a new, expanded Academic Center, a revamped space for our IT department, and a Makerspace in the Middle School.
It has been a busy summer of professional learning for our faculty and staff. In mid-June, 12 teachers participated in our inaugural Summer Teacher Institute. It included three days of collaborative curriculum writing work facilitated by Mr. Dan Hershel, McQuaid's director of curriculum development. In addition, the group piloted a curriculum articulation and review process that will be expanded in the coming year. It’s our second year of an all-faculty summer read initiative, designed to enrich our own learning as professional educators and equip ourselves with the best tools to teach and guide your sons. This year’s title is The ABCs of How We Learn: 26 Scientifically Proven Approaches, How They Work, and When to Use Them. Finally, many of our teachers have been actively engaged in their own individual professional development and personal growth. Notably, Ms. Adrienne Suter and Mr. Jeff Grifa participated in a two-week immersion program visiting Ignatian sites in Spain with the Institute for Advanced Jesuit Studies at Boston College. As always, I am grateful for the hard work and dedication of all of our faculty and staff, and I’m looking forward to working alongside them for the 2018-19 school year.
The purpose of this communication is to provide some “nuts and bolts” information concerning the start of the school year, but I also take this opportunity to introduce new members of our community.
As of this writing, we look forward to welcoming over 125 young men joining us for the first time as Knights. Joining them are five new members of our faculty and staff:
- Mr. Braden Bodensteiner joins our English department after spending the past six years teaching at Siena Catholic Academy. He is a graduate of Nazareth College and has coached track and soccer.
- Mr. Robert Bonfiglio ’12 returns to his alma mater to teach in the Math department, having taught most recently at Brooklyn Jesuit Prep. Mr. Bonfiglio received his degree in Mathematics from Oberlin College and has been teaching in a program at Milton Academy in Massachusetts this summer.
- Mrs. Carolyn Hanna P’06 ’18 ’20 ’21 joins the finance office as Student Accounts/Accounts Receivable coordinator. As a mother of two graduates and two current Knights, she’s no stranger to McQ!
- Fr. Al Hicks, S.J., joins us as an academic tutor and sacramental minister. Fr. Hicks served most recently as associate pastor at Sts. Mary and Joseph parish in Salem, New Hampshire. He served previously as principal of Nativity Prep in Boston and as a teacher at Boston College HS, Baghdad College (Iraq), and the Jesuit Center in Amman, Jordan.
- Mr. John Serafine joins us as Director of Student Counseling and College Advising. Mr. Serafine served most recently as Director of Counseling at Fairport High School and brings over three decades of experience in counseling and college advising. You can learn more about John here.
As many of you are aware, we are saddened to bid farewell this summer to Mr. Chris Mulroy, who is relocating with his family to a different part of the state. For eight years, Mr. Mulroy enriched the life of McQuaid Jesuit with terrific teaching, thoughtful mentorship, and infectious generosity. He will be missed, but we will hold fast to his spirit and example, and he knows he is welcome (and expected!) to come and visit us often. We look forward to having him back for our annual Hall of Fame dinner in late September and are planning separate student and faculty send offs in his honor. I know I speak on everyone’s behalf when I say how much I look forward to thanking Mr. Mulroy and wishing him the best.
At the end of this message are links to helpful information concerning the start of the school year and Orientation events. I call your attention in particular to the following dates:
- Annual Garment Sale – Saturday, August 25. 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. outside the Bookstore
- Welcome & Orientation for all High School parents/guardians new to McQuaid – Tuesday, August 28 at 7 p.m. in the Auditorium. A thorough yet efficient highlight tour of life at McQuaid Jesuit tailored to high school parents: our mission and values, academic program, and opportunities to contribute.
- Welcome & Orientation for all Middle School parents/guardians new to McQuaid – Wednesday, August 29 at 6 p.m. in the Auditorium. A thorough yet efficient highlight tour of life at McQuaid Jesuit tailored to middle school parents: our mission and values, academic program, and opportunities to contribute.
- Student Orientations – Thursday, September 6. See Orientation and Schola Brevis Schedule below for specific details.
- Schola Brevis for students in grades 6, 7, and 9 – Friday, September 7. See Orientation and Schola Brevis Schedule below for more information.
- Outdoor Welcome Liturgy and Pizza Dinner – Sunday, September 9. Mass at 5 p.m. on the Carriero Commons with dinner immediately following. A wonderful opportunity to connect with friends old and new as the new school year begins. Please RSVP here.
- Annual Mini-Class Night – Thursday, September 20. Save the date for this opportunity to meet your son’s teachers and experience an abbreviated version of his school day.
We will mail students’ class schedules the week of August 6 - keep an eye on the mailbox.
Back to school season inevitably means some supply shopping, and you can find information about required and supplemental materials at the Bookstore website here. (Note there are additional links, including supply list for select high school classes, embedded in this site, so be sure to review thoroughly.) Reading lists for English courses can be found here, and your son had better not forget about his summer reading. Contact Mrs. Jennifer Roxstrom in our Bookstore with any questions.
The fall sports season will begin in short order. You can find information about tryouts and medical clearance procedures here. Please be in touch with Mr. Matt Thomas ’96 or Mrs. Amy Sheffer with any questions.
My monthly Principal’s Newsletter, featuring calendar updates and reminders, news and notes of interest, and reflections on school life, will resume in early September. Schoology will continue to be a source of regular updates regarding your son’s academic progress.
Additionally, by clicking on “Parents” at the top of the home page at www.mcquaid.org you will find helpful information about the extensive activities and plans of the McQuaid Jesuit Parents’ Association as well as a list of “Useful Links” to assist you in navigating day-to-day life at the school.
Happy New Year (almost)! I look forward to seeing you and your sons very soon!
Adam R. Baber