Left to right: Michael Teresi, Stanford Smith, Colin Bavibidila, Hunter Smith, and Gavin Patel
On Monday, April 16, the middle school gathered for the second annual Eighth Grade Poetry Recitation Competition. All 101 eighth graders had spent the previous weeks selecting, memorizing, and performing an array of poems from the world's most celebrated poets, both past and present and five were selected as finalists by their teachers and peers to present in the compeition. The finalists were:
- Stanford Smith - "The Man with Night Sweats" by Thom Gunn
- Michael Teresi - "The Charge of the Light Brigade" by Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Gavin Patel - "Common Dust" by Georgia Douglas Johnson
- Colin Bavibidila - "The Obligation to Be Happy" by Linda Pastan
- Hunter Smith - "America" by Claude McKay
A panel of judges scored each presentation and when the numbers were tallied, the result was a tie with Stanford Smith and Colin Bavibidila being named co-winners. Congratulations to all five young men!
For the sixth consecutive year, grandparents visited their grandsons and got to experience a small taste of McQuaid. The morning started with Mass and a brief update on the school followed by grandparents attending second period classes with their grandsons. Following second period, the grandparents were given tours of the Wegman Center before departing for the day. Click Here for photos from the day.